Friday, April 4, 2014

This One Time at Band Camp, I Mean College

At my weirdo college, they have recently decided that standardized tests mean nothing at all, or something, and it was already a college full of anxiety-prone people with ADD and hyperfocus. We planned an individual research project for every single class and then wrote a large research paper in addition to whatever normal five-paged papers we wanted to do.

The only time I ever dropped a class for too much research was when I tried to take Italian level 2 and I realized that in addition to all the drama of learning a language (which involved a shit ton of extra work because this was Sarah Fucking Lawrence style which meant extra everything at all times, so basically everything involved with Italian 1) there was also a 20 page paper expected. I mean, that was SLC in a nutshell, but basically I was all, “Talk to the Hand,” and dropped the class.
Anyway, I love research, and that was the ONLY time I ever balked at it.  One time, though, I was interviewing for a class at SLC, which you also had to do there, and I told a teacher I wanted to research the importance of snakes in world religions.  He totally axed me from the potential roster.
In honor of this blog, though, I’m totally gonna do the research for this damn paper I never got to write. I won’t put it in academe language, though, because I forgot how to do that. Sort of on purpose. But I’ll just quietly do the research, because the Internet is big now and there are a lot of interesting books.  And I like snakes.  And that will be a cool side project to make me feel smart in the face of a lot of bullshit.

That’s pretty much who I am, really, someone who soldiers through being underestimated, pigeon-holed, mistreated, and legally discriminated against by listening to a LOT of music, doing a LOT of research, and writing irritated letters and FB posts. ;)  A couple of irritated letters are turning into notes and phone calls that nobody is expecting.  So I’m busy with that, and should not blog until the notes and phone calls are kinda if not done then at least in progress.  That doesn’t mean that’s going to be the case, though.

Stuff that’s gonna be on this blog: Irishness, writer and reader geekery, snakey geekery, science geekery, Jewishness, disability, word nerdness (coined phrases), bears, snark, sarcasm, probably some stuff about cats because this is the Internet, and possibly some plugs for my other blog that is not my personal one in cases where it is relevant to the discussion.

I’m trying to do Facebook less and Practice Being a Writer. I have this series I am planning, you see, and I need to exercise writer brain.

ETA: This is a copy of a blog that I was keeping at Wordpress but that wasn't working.  I have my disability and faith blog at Wordpress and this blog here at Blogspot, despite the fact that I really hate Google. It's here for the moment, anyway, because I like the features of these two sites, and like sites like LiveJournal/Dreamwidth worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment